Most RV steps deploy from under your RV doors either manually or by a push of a button that opens them under electrical power. While traveling, the steps lock-in under your RV to avoid damage.
The steps are made of metal and will typically have a non-slip coating to reduce falls. Many standard RV steps are narrow and not very wide, making it difficult to maneuver up and down without falling off an edge.
Common Reasons You Need RV Steps
For people to safely move in and out of the RV because the height difference to the ground can be several feet in some RV models.
For pets to easily come in and out of the RV, especially those that are smaller with short legs.
To stand outside the RV without touching the muddy or wet ground, say to check the weather conditions, or talk to a camping neighbor.
To have a “landing” spot for items you don’t necessarily want inside your RV, like muddy shoes or the dog’s leash, but you need to keep handy.
The steps can retract under the RV or pack away in a compartment so that you can drive without worrying they will stick out or fall off and hit things while you travel.
Common Benefits of Using RV Steps
For safe RV exit and entry of the RV, so you don’t have to jump or strain your legs trying to cover three or so feet of distance.
You can upgrade your steps to offer a handrail to help keep your balance, especially when you are often carrying camping supplies in and out of the camper with one of your hands.
Pre-made models can provide a more massive landing so that you can transition into the RV easier. Large platforms, even with your RV door, can give you a safe spot to place a cooler, your pet’s food bowls, or even a chair.
Pre-made steps are fiberglass-coated for longer life and won’t rust like metal. The steps are several feet wide and of standard residential height, which reduces the chances of falls.
Wide RV stairs have enough room along the edges to place shoes, plants, or pet toys, to keep them off the ground but out of your RV interior, so it stays cleaner and less cluttered.
Top Brands With a Strong Reputation
Lippert brand offers a wide array of steps for manufacturer installation or owner upgrades to improve stability or safety from poor-quality, wobbly RV stairs that came with the unit.
Stromberg Carlson offers park model steps that are ideal for traveling RVs, as long as you have space in your basement or interior to carry them between campsites.
Buyers Products offers compact yet durable plastic steps perfect for RV travel, which allow you to pop these into place instead of using the less stable integrated RV steps.
Best RV Steps
How Does RV Troop Select the Best?
The folks behind RV Troop believe that actual, real-world experience provides the best measure of a product’s value. We also believe there’s value in product sales data — real figures that determine what real people are spending their hard-earned money on.
The below are our recommendations for the top RV steps.
- 【Strong Stability】：This Aluminum Folding platform step stool features tubular aluminum, has 19" x 12" platform providing stability. The welds are continuous around the four legs and the legs with rubber feet can make the step stand stable on the ground.
- 【Safe and Reliable】：The RV steps have available extended heights and 7 non-slip gripper strips which can increase friction make sure you will not slip when step on it. And the RV stool features a slotted design engineered to help remove dirt and mud from both your shoes and the step.
- 【Adjustable Height】：The step each leg has a thumbtack firmly locked in a fixed position. 4 different height settings per leg: 7.8inch, 8.2 inch, 8.6inch, 9inch. Please note that the RV steps should be placed on a flat surface to adjust the height.
- 【Family Essential】：The foldable step stool can be used in the home, garage, truck or van. Not only can it extend the distance to the first step of the RV, but it can also provide good protection for your children so that they can try to wash their hands on the kitchen sink or pick up the book from the bookshelf.
- 【Widely Used】：The folding steps is different from another RV steps and is much more convenient than other RV steps. It can widely apply to RV, trailer, truck, SUV, camping, library and kitchen.
- Double radius manual entry step for RVs and horse trailers
- 24" wide double radius steel entry step
- 8" rise between steps
- For use in towable RV and horse trailer applications
- Powder-coated components are rust-prohibitive and stand up to the elements
- Radius corner manual step - Triple, 7" Rise
- Brand: Lippert Components
- Lippert part Number: 432687
- Lippert - enhance the mobile lifestyle
- Each step is 24" wide and comes with anti-slip skid tape