An RV microwave comes in two styles. The first is the typical model found in homes, both countertop and over-the-range versions that quick-cook or heat meals.
The second, more common type, is convection microwaves, which work more like an oven to bake food like chicken or pizzas.
Some RV microwaves are more compact, but most are full-size units. As RVs have a limit on electricity, many RV microwaves are less powerful, so you can run the unit and another high-wattage-draw appliance like the air conditioner at the same time without blowing a fuse.
Common Reasons You Need an RV Microwave
RV microwaves allow you to quickly cook meals without the need to waste propane by turning on the oven or stovetop or pulling out and starting up the grill.
Some RVs do not come with an oven or stove, so the microwave is a convenient alternative to heat food.
To avoid the hassles of turning on the oven and warming up your entire RV, which is horrible in the summer months when most people go camping.
Microwaves reduce food waste by letting you easily reheat leftovers instead of throwing them in the trash.
A microwave requires less cleaning and cooking time for people who want more time to enjoy their trip.
Common Benefits for Using an RV Microwave
The main reason to use an RV microwave is to save space. Many RVers opt to remove their RV oven and stovetop and only use the microwave so that they can use that space for more storage.
RV microwaves are much easier to keep clean over a stovetop or oven, which requires caustic oven cleaners and lots of elbow grease to remove baked-on food.
A microwave won’t warm up your entire RV to cook a meal as an oven does, so you save money on running the A/C or the bother of opening windows to air out the rig.
Microwaves are safer to run than a gas stove as they don’t emit any fumes during use like or have a chance of propane leaks from gas lines vibrating loose.
RV microwaves are easy to replace if they break while on the road, and non-convection versions are relatively inexpensive.
Top Brands With a Strong Reputation
Advent offers reliable microwaves for RVs in both standard and convection versions in over-the-range or countertop designs.
Contoure offers built-in microwave models for RVs to replace an existing unit or for new installation during a remodel.
RecPro offers compact or standard-size built-in RV microwaves that are very efficient on power, so you don’t have to worry about which appliances are running at one time.
Oh, and in the event you got the impression that we were suggesting you forgo your campground fireplace … never! But let’s be honest, sometimes being able to cook a hot sandwich in a few minutes is nice too.
Best RV Microwaves
How Does RV Troop Select the Best?
RV Troop uses product sales-numbers — real figures that determine what people are actually buying — as well as customer-verified reviews to determine the top products in any product niche. In our opinion, there’s no better way to make product recommendations than by showcasing what real people are spending their hard-earned money on.
The below are our recommendations for the top RV microwaves.
- External dimensions: 19 1/16” W x 14 1/2” D (without back plate - 13 1/4") x 11 5/8” H Installation dimensions: 20"W x 13 3/8"H x 14 1/8"D
- 0.9 cu.ft. capacity with 900 watts of cooking power
- Glass turntable rotates foods to provide even cooking, Easy access door, White cavity and black outer enclosure, One piece trim kit, UL/CUL Listed
- Specifically built and designed for RV's, including vent exhaust
- WITHOUT Trim Kit External dimensions – 19.1” W x 14.7” D x 11.3” H | Installation Dimensions – 20” W x 14.125” D x 13.375” H
- 8 Express Cook options (Popcorn, Potato, Pizza, Beverage, Soup, Dinner Plate, Fresh Vegetable, Frozen Vegetable)
- Instant Start (30-seconds per touch)
- Stainless Steel Picture Frame Trim Kit
- 4-digit LED display
- Overall Dimensions without Trim Kit: 12" High x 19" Wide x 14 5/8" D Overall Dimensions with Trim Kit: 15" High x 23 1/4" Wide x 14 5/8" D Recommended cutout size: 12 1/2" High x 20" Wide x 15" D Weight: 30 Lbs. *034
- 9 Express Cook options (Popcorn, Potato, Pizza, Roast Chicken, Beverage, Soup, Dinner Plate, Fresh Vegetable, Frozen Vegetable)
- Instant Start (30-seconds per touch)
- 10 Power Levels
- Now it’s easier to defrost vegetables, make popcorn, cook potatoes, and reheat rice. With an Echo device (not included), quick-cook voice presets and a simplified keypad let you just ask Alexa to start microwaving.
- Automatically reorder popcorn when you run low and save 10% on popcorn orders—enabled by Amazon Dash Replenishment technology
- Compact size saves counter space, plus 10 power levels, a kitchen timer, a child lock, and a turntable.
- Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new presets.
- External dimensions (Width x Height x Depth): 17.3 in. x 10.1 in. x 14.1 in. ; internal dimensions (10 7/8 in. x 6 7/8 in. x 10” in.); Turntable (Diameter): 10 in. ; Maximum Popcorn bag size: 3 oz