An RV furnace is a forced-air system, similar to residential heaters. Ductwork within the RV floors or ceilings delivers the warm air throughout the camper.
The difference with RV furnaces is that they may need an electronic ignition, typically by using the 12V system, and the unit will run off of propane gas held in tanks inside a compartment of your RV.
Common Reasons You Need an RV Furnace
To warm the RV from front to back, and not just a single small area as you get with a space heater.
To offset random cold nights in naturally warm regions, say wintertime in Florida, so RV guests stay comfortable.
To keep pets warm while you are away from the RV, so you don’t have to worry they are under stress.
To warm the camper when electricity isn’t available, which makes off-grid camping more accessible and comfortable.
Common Benefits for Using an RV Furnace
Allows RV camping in regions that would otherwise be too cold to visit without a furnace to keep occupants warm.
Allows warmth during off-grid camping where shore power isn’t available, as many systems run off propane and only need a short burst of 12-volt power to ignite the burner.
Reliable and safe method to heat the RV over electric space heaters that could tip over and cause burns or fires.
Disperses heat through vents around the RV, so all areas are warmed evenly, instead of space heaters that only warm the immediate area and leave outlying areas cold.
Propane is a cheaper fuel source than electricity, which means you can save money on metered RV stays that many campgrounds charge.
Top Brands With a Strong Reputation
Suburban is a top brand that delivers consistent reliability in furnace systems made specific to RVs’ needs, including durable builds.
Dometic is another RV specific brand that makes replacements easy, as they fit exactly like the original units but are more efficient.
Best RV Furnance
How Does RV Troop Select the Best?
The folks behind RV Troop believe that actual, real-world experience provides the best measure of a product’s value. We also believe there’s value in product sales data — real figures that determine what real people are spending their hard-earned money on.
The below are our recommendations for the top RV furnances.
- 4, 000- to 18, 000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 450 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use; clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7, 000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.
- Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels
- Low, medium and high heat level control knob for steady temperatures; connects to propane tank (not included)
- THE USE OF UN-AUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES/ATTACHMENTS WITH THIS HEATER ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY, AND WILL VOID THE .
- ALL AROUND ROOM HEATING: This heater uses ceramic technology to provide even heat for whole room & personal warmth with a unique 360° design & a switch to select personal directional heating.
- SAFE & EASY: This heater has an adjustable thermostat with 2 heat settings & a 1-8 hour timer, plus an array of safety features including a cool touch carry handle & 360° tip-over protection.
- INCREASE YOUR COMFORT: Portable heaters can help increase comfort & supplement home heating needs. Honeywell carries a range of heaters including personal, ceramic, fan forced, radiant, & infrared.
- SMART SAVINGS: Portable heaters are an easy way to add warmth to any space. By turning down your home thermostat a few degrees & heating just the room you're in, a space heater can help you save money.
- HONEYWELL QUALITY: Help improve heating & energy savings in your home, office, or school using an energy efficient Honeywell portable heater to bring comfort to any sized room from small to large.