What’s the difference between an RV dehumidifier and a regular (non-RV) dehumidifier?
An RV dehumidifier is the same appliance you use in your home — simply described, it pulls excessive moisture from the air. A dehumidifier works by drawing air into and over internal coils on which moisture condenses (changes from a gas to a liquid) and is collected in a tank.
A fan blows the remaining drier, cooler air back into the room.
The main difference you’ll find in RV dehumidifiers is the size, as few RVs are large enough to warrant a full-size unit.
Manufacturers make small dehumidifiers ideal for RV use, so you can find the perfect size to keep your RV comfortable.
Common Reasons You Need an RV Dehumidifier
- All RVs have relatively thin walls and inadequate insulation, which results in a lack of sufficient climate control. When the RV interior gets cool, but you’re parked in a humid region, the moisture levels in the air can condense and cause wet, drippy windows, walls, and ceilings.
- When you don’t open windows or run fans in the RV, just the occupants’ breathing can also cause condensation build-up.
- Running a propane heating system also adds a large amount of humidity to the RV.
- RVs are prone to quick mold and mildew growth, especially when camping in warm regions, so keeping humidity levels low can prevent issues.
- Showering in an RV is another reason moisture builds, as many bathroom exhaust fans are weak, and the entire space is cramped, so the shower is typically only a few feet from the living areas.
- Allergens, like dust mites, need at least 65-percent humidity to live, so keeping moisture levels under this number can alleviate irritation.
Common Benefits for Using an RV Dehumidifier
The main reason to use an RV dehumidifier is to stop having to continually wipe up the annoying condensation issue caused by camping in humid regions, running a propane heater, human breath that isn’t getting dispersed, or running showers.
If you leave high humidity inside an RV unchecked, mold will grow fast, and all the water will soak up into the furniture, walls, flooring, and ceiling. Musty smells will permeate the RV, and swelling or popping of walls or flooring can happen. Repairs to fix moisture damage is timely and expensive.
For people suffering from allergies, keeping mold, fungi, mites, and other irritants that thrive in humid conditions from taking over the RV will keep the air fresher and reduce sneezing or runny eyes and noses.
Lower humidity helps people with asthma breathe easier.
A relative humidity level between 30-50 percent is the most comfortable for humans. A dehumidifier lowers humidity to comfortable levels, so you don’t feel muggy or sticky inside the RV.
Top Brands With a Strong Reputation
- Eva Dry is a top dehumidifier brand specializing in floor or table models to desiccant-style rechargeable units ideal for RVs.
- Frigidaire makes great dehumidifiers ideal for RV use. Large motorcoaches can run a full-size unit, while more compact floor-models work great in smaller RVs to reduce moisture levels fast.
- Pro-Breeze caters to RV owners, as their models are small and quiet.
How Does RV Troop Select the Best?
The folks behind RV Troop believe that actual, real-world experience provides the best measure of a product’s value. We also believe there’s value in product sales data — real figures that determine what real people are spending their hard-earned money on.
Best RV Dehumidifiers
- High-Efficiency Dehumify：ALROCKET portable dehumidifier with 35oz(1000ml) capacity tank extracts up to 16oz(450ml) of water daily in a humid environment of 86°F and 80% RH. ALROCKET dehumidifier helps you improve air quality and create a comfortable and clean living environment for you.
- Ultra Quiet: ALROCKET small dehumidifier Built-in Thermo-Electric Tech(Peltier) operation which means whisper-quiet(39db). Allowing you to run it all day and night without any loud or disturbing noises.
- Energy Saving-Healthy: This mini dehumidifier is effective and energy saving with a power only 40W/hour which means using only 0.96kW of electricity after running for 24 hours. It's environmentally friendly and more affordable than traditional chemical absorbents.
- Auto-Shutoff Function: This dehumidifier will auto shut off (When the water of the tank reaches between 24oz and 27oz) to protect from the risk of overflow. And the light turns red when shut off. Note: Product optimal operating temperature is 41°F-122°F, below 41°F the effect of dehumidification is not obvious. Contact us if you have any questions.
- Portable and Compact: One-touch switch design helps you easily operate the unit. The size (5.7 x 5.7 x 8.9 inches) and lightweight (2.87lb). Ideal for rooms up to 2100 Cubic Feet (260 sq ft). You can easy to move it into bedrooms, bathrooms, and offices.
- Small & Compact: Lightweight, Compact and Portable, Capable of removing up to 9 ounces of water per day with a 16-ounce water tank capacity. Ideal for rooms up to 1200 cubic feet (150 sq ft). Only works effectively above 15°C / 59°F.
- AUTO SHUT OFF: When full the dehumidifier will automatically shut off and the LED light will turn-on indicating the water tank needs draining. Simply empty the water tank and place it back into the dehumidifier.
- ULTRA-QUIET AND EFFICIENT: Built-in Thermo Electric Cooling Technology (Peltier) operates without a compressor meaning whisper quiet operation in bedrooms, bathrooms and offices.
- REMOVES 9 OUNCES OF WATER/DAY: Optimal function in room sizes up to 1200 cubic feet (150 sq ft).
- LOWERS HUMIDITY: Perfect for high humidity in your home, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, caravan, garage, closet. Like all mini dehumidifiers, optimal operating temperature is 59-86°F. It will not work below 41°F.
- 【High-Efficiency Work】: Small and compact dehumidifier with 16 ounces/ 500 ml capacity tank extracts up to 10 oz/ 300 ml daily in enclosed and small rooms and spaces.
- 【Auto-Shut off Function】: Compact dehumidifier shut-off automatically when full water. Led would turn Red when the water tank needs draining. Easily removal and back into the dehumidifier.
- 【Ultra-Quiet& Efficient】: Built-in Thermo-Electric Cooling Technology (Peltier) operates without a compressor meaning whisper-quiet operation in bedrooms, bathrooms, and offices. Perfect use at night and a small room.
- 【Save Space and Portable】: It is mini-size, Perfect for your home, such as kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, caravan, garage, closet. Like all mini dehumidifiers, the optimal operating temperature is 59-86°F. It will not work below 41°F.
- 【Non-stop Customer Service】We provide unlimited customer service support and tech support. Questions will be responded to within 24 working hours. SEAVON dehumidifier comes with 2-year Warranty Click “Add to Cart” now – You will happy with it.
- High-Efficiency Dehumidifcaition: With Thermo-Electric double semiconductors, the upgrated dehumidifier has twice the condensation effect as the original ones. It can remove up to 27 ounces (800ml) of water from the air at 86°F and 80% RH daily and can work effectively above 59°F(15°C) in a room that space up to 4500 Cubic Feet (480 sq ft). Besides, the large capacity water tank (2300ml/77.5oz) can achieve 24 hours of continuous dehumidification.
- Real-time Humidity Display: The portable dehumidifier has an anti-scratch HD display that shows the current ambient humidity in real-time. KLOUDIC electric dehumidifier can easily be used as a hygrometer to detect the humidity in different time periods, which allows you to control the room humidity at any time. Keep your bedroom, bathroom, RV, caravan, garage, closet in healthy air humidity.
- Multi-function Design: In the STRONG MODE, the compact dehumidifier is set to high fan speed and it will reduce humidity fast. In the ULTRA-QUIET SLEEP MODE, it ensures the Dehumidifiers to run quietly so that you can enjoy sleep soundly. (NOTE: When the sleep mode is on, the dehumidifying effect is weaker than it is on the normal mode and will take longer to dehumidify.)
- Constant humidity-Auto Shut Off: Like all mini dehumidifiers, it will trigger automatic shut-off when the water tank is full. However, KLOUDIC dehumidifier combines a special design. In the AUTO MODE, the portable dehumidifier will automatically shut off when the humidity is below 50% RH, and return to work when it is higher than 50% RH. The energy-efficient TIMING MODE enables you to set the time for a daily run. It will automatically switch off when it reaches the time.
- Added Automatic DEFROST: In a low-temperature environment, if the internal frost forms, our dehumidifiers will automatically go into defrost mode to protect the unit as well as extend the life of the dehumidifier. After defrosting, the dehumidification operation will resume.