What’s the difference between an RV dehumidifier and a regular (non-RV) dehumidifier?
An RV dehumidifier is the same appliance you use in your home — simply described, it pulls excessive moisture from the air. A dehumidifier works by drawing air into and over internal coils on which moisture condenses (changes from a gas to a liquid) and is collected in a tank.
A fan blows the remaining drier, cooler air back into the room.
The main difference you’ll find in RV dehumidifiers is the size, as few RVs are large enough to warrant a full-size unit.
Manufacturers make small dehumidifiers ideal for RV use, so you can find the perfect size to keep your RV comfortable.
Common Reasons You Need an RV Dehumidifier
- All RVs have relatively thin walls and inadequate insulation, which results in a lack of sufficient climate control. When the RV interior gets cool, but you’re parked in a humid region, the moisture levels in the air can condense and cause wet, drippy windows, walls, and ceilings.
- When you don’t open windows or run fans in the RV, just the occupants’ breathing can also cause condensation build-up.
- Running a propane heating system also adds a large amount of humidity to the RV.
- RVs are prone to quick mold and mildew growth, especially when camping in warm regions, so keeping humidity levels low can prevent issues.
- Showering in an RV is another reason moisture builds, as many bathroom exhaust fans are weak, and the entire space is cramped, so the shower is typically only a few feet from the living areas.
- Allergens, like dust mites, need at least 65-percent humidity to live, so keeping moisture levels under this number can alleviate irritation.
Common Benefits for Using an RV Dehumidifier
The main reason to use an RV dehumidifier is to stop having to continually wipe up the annoying condensation issue caused by camping in humid regions, running a propane heater, human breath that isn’t getting dispersed, or running showers.
If you leave high humidity inside an RV unchecked, mold will grow fast, and all the water will soak up into the furniture, walls, flooring, and ceiling. Musty smells will permeate the RV, and swelling or popping of walls or flooring can happen. Repairs to fix moisture damage is timely and expensive.
For people suffering from allergies, keeping mold, fungi, mites, and other irritants that thrive in humid conditions from taking over the RV will keep the air fresher and reduce sneezing or runny eyes and noses.
Lower humidity helps people with asthma breathe easier.
A relative humidity level between 30-50 percent is the most comfortable for humans. A dehumidifier lowers humidity to comfortable levels, so you don’t feel muggy or sticky inside the RV.
Top Brands With a Strong Reputation
- Eva Dry is a top dehumidifier brand specializing in floor or table models to desiccant-style rechargeable units ideal for RVs.
- Frigidaire makes great dehumidifiers ideal for RV use. Large motorcoaches can run a full-size unit, while more compact floor-models work great in smaller RVs to reduce moisture levels fast.
- Pro-Breeze caters to RV owners, as their models are small and quiet.
How Does RV Troop Select the Best?
The folks behind RV Troop believe that actual, real-world experience provides the best measure of a product’s value. We also believe there’s value in product sales data — real figures that determine what real people are spending their hard-earned money on.
Join 500+ Passionate RVers and Get Our Best Stuff Before Anyone Else!
Best RV Dehumidifiers
- ➤【HIGH EFFICIENT DEHUMIDIFICATION】SEAVON portable dehumidifier with 35oz(1000ml) capacity tank extracts up to 16oz(450ml) of water daily in a humid environment of 86°F and 80% RH. The dehumidifier is suitable for the bathroom. Keep moisture below 45%, powerful efficiency for removing the moisture in the air.
- ➤【COLORFUL NIGHT LIGHTS & AUTO SHUT OFF】Our electric dehumidifier has 7 changing lights (which could be set steady on), this bedroom dehumidifier creates a sweet and romantic sleeping atmosphere for you. Auto Shut Off function to prevent the water from overflowing. It is also very safe and convenient to use when you are not at home.
- ➤【TWO WORKING MODES & ULTRA QUIET】The dehumidifier designed with high speed and low speed that meet all kinds of dehumidification requirements of different people. You can freely switch between 2 modes. The low-speed mode is super quiet, with a considerate 30dB whisper-quiet operation and sleep mode, suitable for bedrooms and offices.
- ➤【SPACE SAVING & PORTABLE】This small dehumidifier has a cylindrical design and small size(6.3x6.3x10 inches). Perfect for control humidity in your home, such as kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, basement, garage, closet. Note: The optimal operating temperature of the dehumidifier is 59-104℉. It will not work below 41℉.
- ➤【CREATE HEALTHY & COMFORTABLE ENVIRONMENT】According to research, if the moisture in the air above 50% can breed uncomfortable or other health problems. Dehumidifier will start work when the humidity more than 45%, it collects moisture and releases fresh air, providing you a healthy and comfortable environment.
- EFFICIENT DEHUMIDIFICATION: Levoair home dehumidifier is equipped with 2000ml(68oz)water tank effectively extract up to 34oz(1000ml) of water daily in a humid environment of 86°F and 80% RH.It also come with drain hose that can achieve continuous dehumidification all day which is better than other mini dehumidifiers.Free your hands.
- ENERGY SAVING & SAFETY: The electric dehumidifier build in power supply which more safty.The dehumidifier is effective and energy saving with a power only 1.1kw/day. Don't add your electricity bill. It's more environmentally friendly than the traditional chemical absorbents.
- WHISPER QUIET: Our portable dehumidifier adopts with Peltier principleand without a compressor to ensures the dehumidifiers to run quietly . Ultra quiet dehumidifier ideal use in bedrooms, baby rooms, and offices that helps you improve air quality.
- MOBILITY HANDLE DESIGN: The portable dehumidifier with lift up handle ,remove to bedroom, bathroom, basements,RV, caravan, garage, closet ect.Our air dehumidifier collects moisture and releases fresh air to let the humidity at 50%-60%, providing you a healthy and comfortable environment.Say goodbye to humidity!
- AUTO SHUT OFF & EASY TO USE: Our small dehumidifier only with one button control which easy for the older to use.The compact dehumidifier indicator is blue when working, it will auto shut off to avoid overflow when water tank is full and the light become red.Note:when the temperature is below 15℃(59°F) or the humidity is below 35%, the dehumidification effect is not obvious.
- Large Coverage 1200-2200 Cubic Feet: The Pro Breeze Dehumidifier can effectively cover up to 2200 cubic feet. This powerful dehumidifier removes up to 9 ounces of Water/Day in areas up to 215 square feet or 2200 cubic feet.
- Auto Shut-Off: When full the dehumidifier will automatically shut off and the LED light will turn on, indicating the water tank needs draining. Simply empty the water tank and place it back into the dehumidifier.
- Lightweight, Compact and Portable: Capable of removing up to 9 ounces of water per day with a 16-ounce water tank capacity. Only works effectively above 15°C / 59°F.
- Ultra-Quiet & Energy Efficient: Whisper quiet operation in bedrooms, bathrooms and offices, at an output of 23W per hour, which means only using 0.55kW after running for 24 hours.
- Lowers Humidity: Perfect for high humidity in your home, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, RV, trailer, garage, closet, cabinet. Like all mini dehumidifiers, optimal operating temperature is 59-86°F. It will not work below 41°F.
- HIGH EFFICIENT HOME DEHUMIDIFIER--NO MORE ODOR & HUMIDITY: Donatello dehumidifier for home comes with removable 68 oz water tank, it can pull the moisture out of the air and adjust humidity to a comfortable level. You can empty every 4-7 days in a humid environment of 86°F & 80% RH. It's also a small dehumidifier with drain hose so that you don't have to manually empty the reservoir every week
- ONE BUTTON CONTROL&LIFT UP HANDLE--VERY EASY TO USE: The portable dehumidifiers for basements is designed with one button control and lift up handle, which is very easy to use and move. You can easily put the mini dehumidifier to any place wherever you want to. It's perfect for your small bathroom, small basement, small bedroom, closet, motorhome, garage, trailers, wardrobe, office and RV
- AUTO SHUT OFF--SAFETY TO USE: This small dehumidifiers for bedroom will automatically shut down when the water tank is full of water to prevent the water tank from overflowing and protect the unit from damage. The indicator light will trun red when the water tank needs to be emptied or not placed properly
- ENERGY SAVING DEHUMIDIFIER--SAVE YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL: The bathroom dehumidifier is effective and energy-saving, with a power of only 48W/hour, which means that it only consumes 1.15kW of electricity after 24 hours of operation. Our home dehumidifier is environmentally friendly and cheaper than traditional large compressors or desiccant dehumidifiers
- ULTRA QUIET--OFFER QUIET ENVIRONMENT: This safe dehumidifier operates without a compressor, the working sound of basement dehumidifier is whisper quiet (
- Small & Compact: Lightweight, compact and portable. Capable of removing up to 18 ounces of water per day with a 52-ounce water tank capacity. Can cover up to 3000 cubic feet (250 sq ft)
- Auto Shut-Off: When full the dehumidifier will automatically shut off and the LED light will turn-on indicating the water tank needs draining. Simply empty the water tank and place it back into the dehumidifier
- Ultra-Quiet & Efficient: Built-in Thermo-Electric Cooling Technology (Peltier) operates without a compressor meaning whisper quiet operation in bedrooms, bathrooms and offices
- Removes 18 Ounces of Moisture per Day: Optimal function in room sizes up to 2200 cubic feet (250 sq ft)
- Lowers Humidity: Perfect for high humidity in your home, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, caravan, garage, closet. Like all mini dehumidifiers, optimal operating temperature is 59-86°F. It will not work below 41°F
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."
-- Andre Gide